Sunday, June 5, 2011

Well its happend.

So I finally decided to sign up to one of these blog doodads. I thought it might be a good idea so I could keep track of a few blogs ive been keeping a eye on and reading over the last few years. Over recent times while ive been unemployed ive been spending a bit of time infront of the laptop looking at various railway things on the internet, and my reasearch has often ended up reading a little bit of info on one of these blog things.
Ive found that these blogs even though they are dedicated to modeling in HO, they give me alot of inspirartion for my modeling in 5 inch gauge because the prototype is the same.... The New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR).

Why did I sign up for one of these blog things? Its because ive found that im having alot of trouble keeping up with all these interesting blogs, So i thought well Ill sign up to blogger so maybe it will be easier to keep up these blogs ive been enjoying reading.
Why the Waratah Wagon and Locomotive Workshops you ask???
Here goes the story...........
6 months ago I moved in with my darling girlfriend, it wasnt really a planed thing to do... It just happend.
At the time I was living in Brisbane, This was supost to be a short term thing for 6 months and at the end of the six months the job was going to move back to Sydney (where I have grown up and lived for 23 years), however this was not to be...... at the end of the 6 months of living in brisbane there was no end in sight for a return home and I learned my employer was running into money problems so I was made redundant.

So now with no job and more stuff than I came to brisbane with 6 months ago I couldnt just pack up all my stuff in brisbane and move back home to fantastic Sydney. It was decided I would pack up everything from the room i was renting in a house in Brisbane to get out of the house and not pay any more rent. At the time the decision was made my 5" gauge engine was safely living at my place of work and I could come back and get it once i had moved out of my house in brisbane and into my girlfriends house in Toowoomba.
This plan was no to be.......

To cut a long story short, I was packing everything up at the hosue in brisbane where i rented a room when i learned of the wall of water that smashed through toowoomba and the lockyer valley and cut the warrago highway and my passage out of brisbane. I had planed on leaving brisbane that afternoon, that was before the floods happend. On the tuesday while waiting for the roads to open I learned that they powers that be were predicting a flood in brisbane that night and that the workshop that my 5"gauge engine had lived in for 6 months was in a suburb that was "under extreame threat of flooding" so apon learning this I rushed out to get my engine from the workshop. It Turns out the workshop didnt go under but the water was at the back door!
Anyways after 5 days of being stuff in Brisbane with a ute loaded with my steam loco a few wagons and most of my gear from my room minus the big things like bed and tables etc i made it into toowoomba after a 5 hour drive via beudesert. It was on arrival here in Toowoomba I said to the Girlfriend "so were am I going to put the steam engine????"  It was decided I was able to take over the garage and set up in there.

So anyways back to why the Waratah Wagon and Locomotive Workshops..... I have been building a few wagons for my engine to pull around and had put various photos on facebook of my progress of the wagons and had captiond the photos with captions like "KF wagons take shape in the Newtown Wagon Works" just as a bit of a joke. Newtown is the suburb we live in here in Toowoomba.
As I type out this blog I am working on returning home to Sydney after 12months of living in Queensland.
I have a couple of job applications on the go back home and I thought to myself.... "well the newtown wagon workshops isnt a name i can transfer to where ever im living in the future...." so i had a think and came up with the Waratah Wagon and Locomotive Workshops. This name doesnt tie up with a perticular suburb or place.

I decided on Waratah because at home at mum and dads I have a number of Waratahs growing successfully, However no flowers yet! Some of you might be awear that the floral emblum of NSW is the Waratah.
So it seems fitting to me to call my workshop The Waratah Wagon and Locomotive Workshops because of the prototype I model (NSW) and the fact I grew up in NSW etc. It just seems to fit.
So now where ever I live the name works?????????

So with that note I will end this first Post. I hope it hasnt been to boring..... I hope to bring you photos of various things I will be doing: Building 5 inch gauge wagons, Attending various runs with my steam loco and wagons, and there might even be some progress with my engine im building. Who knows what else I might chuck in the mix?

No comments:

Post a Comment