Friday, July 1, 2011

S Truck, PV and Tenders!

Theres been plenty going on since the last post.
Over the last few weeks Oldmate sheetmetal, Welding and Lazercutting has been busy programing various tender parts into the lazer cutter to further progress with the construction of our two tenders for a NSWGR 36 class.

 

Here we have the main tank and baffles cut out. Allthough the photo doesnt show it the holes for the rivits have been cut out as well.


Soon the remaining parts of the turret will be cut out and we can begin riviting both tender bodys.


There has been plenty of S truck progress since the last post. The S truck is comming close to completion,as it stands this afternoon there isnt much left to do on it.
All that remains on the S truck is: Drill holes in the knuckle couplers and fit to the wagon, Make a trip to bunnings to buy bolts to hold the couplers into the coupler pockets, Fit dummy hand brake wheels (this wont happen until later because those parts are in Toowoomba....) , final coat of paint and lettering and numbers. I think the photo below can best show progress.

Allmost finished! Wheels and axlebox's fitted.

We also cant forget the PV explosive van..... I now have the underframe parts for the PV. It is one of Warrick Sandbergs S truck Underframes. The parts will now have to be sent to Oldmate welding for welding before it can progress any further.


Underfame parts ready for welding.

Thats all for now. But I will leave you with this video i found on Youtube last night of me, my engine and freight train passing the cammera at hotpot.

2 comments:

  1. Jason, please forgive the simplistic question. I work in HO scale so anything as large as this is really well outside my comfort zone. The S trucks, is there a reason for not modelling the sides with separate doors? If I could do it in HO I would, is it because of the kits that are available? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the look of what you've done it's so much more than I could even think of doing! How did you get started? Really love the tender, the rivets, you can see them, just think it's great! Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff,
    No worries about the simplistic question, If you dont ask questions you dont learn new things!
    As for the S truck doors, The S trucks come in allmost a flat pack. The sides, ends, floor, and underframe are all cast alluminium. I Have seen people cut down the body sides where the doors are to make it look like a door but i think the way they are built it might weaken the body side if its done all the way down?

    As for the tender the holes have only been lazercut out so far. There is no rivits as of yet. I will post photos when that does eventually happen.

    As for how I got started.... Well thats a long story. I guess its like any other hobby really, people you know introduce you and you get a "taste".
    My first experience was a drive of a Tender 30 class. I was hooked!!!!
    Since then I managed to find myself a loco and then another bloke who was selling a few wagons. Since then I have gone on to build a few of my own wagons and have begun the long road to building my own loco.

    ReplyDelete